Malmö Cobra Taekwon-do Club is the oldest existing Taekwon-do club in the Skåne region in Sweden. It was founded in 1975 by Grandmaster Leong, Wai Meng. The name of the club was initially Malmö Taekwon-do club, but in 1997 it changed the name to Malmö Cobra Taekwon-do Club.
Together with another club in neighbouring Lund, Lund’s Taekwon-do club, also founded by Grandmaster Leong, Malmö Taekwon-do Club was during the mid seventies the only Taekwon-do clubs in the region, and students came from all over Skåne to practice.
In 1977/78 Grandmaster Leong, Wai Meng moved to Greenland in order to establish Taekwon-do there. He was succeeded by Master Yeo, Chin-Huat who became the second Master of the Malmö Taekwon-do Club. Master Yeo is still leading the club, and has during the years graduated thousands of students. In fact, most of the other Taekwon-do clubs that have opened up in the region have been started by former students of Master Yeo.
Malmö Cobra Taekwon-do Club started its activities on the premises of the Vårsången, and has since also occupied space in Limhamns Folkets Hus, Lindängen and Parkmöllan. Today we are based in the Johannesskolan, gymnastic hall 1 in Malmö.
– G.Mater. Yeo began his martial arts career by training Judo. 1966 he began to train TaeKwon-Do, in 1973 he joined the Singapore Army and was among the first TaeKwon-Do instructors to be appointed by the Singapore Armed Forces.
– G.Master Yeo was also activly involved in the promotion of TaeKwon-Do being also an instructor at the YMCA. He trained chinese Kung fu between the years of 1973 and 75.
– He took part in a number of TaeKwon-Do tournaments both at national and international level.
– He arrived in Sweden 1977 as an instructor in TaeKwon-Do. In 1979, at the skandinavian Champion-ships was he appointed Vice Technical Director to the All Europe TaeKwon-Do Federation.
– Since 1986 he was appointed chief instructor fo Sweden and in 1987 president of ITF in Sweden.